Yan Chen's Mechanism Design
and Experimental Economics Homepage
| Research | CV
| Other Links
625 (old version. The current site is hosted on ctools.)
Most of the research papers are based upon work supported by the National
Science Foundation. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or
recommendations expressed in these papers are those of the author(s) and do not
necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.
- Crowdsourcing with All-pay Auctions: A Field Experiment on Taskcn. Tracy Xiao Liu, Jiang Yang, Lada Adamic and Yan Chen. 2013. (PDF)
- From Boston to Chinese Parallel to Deferred Acceptance: Theory and Experiments on a Family of School Choice Mechanisms. Yan Chen and
Onur Kesten. 2013. (PDF)
- Which Hat to Wear? Impact of Natural Identities on Coordination
and Cooperation. Yan Chen, Sherry Xin Li, Tracy Xiao Liu and
Margaret Shih.2010. (PDF)
- A Day without a Search Engine: An Experimental Study of
Online and Offline Search. Yan Chen, Grace YoungJoo Jeon and
Yong-Mi Kim. (2010 Version) (2013 Version)
- Matching and Segregation: An Experimental Study. Yan
Chen, Ernst Fehr, Urs Fischbacher and Peter Morgan. 2005. (PDF) (Instructions)
- Why Can't a Woman Bid More Like a Man?.
Yan Chen, Peter Katuscak and Emre Ozdenoren. Games and Economic Behavior 77 (1), January 2013, Pages 181–213. (PDF:
instructions and survey in appendices)
- Behavioral Spillovers and Cognitive Load in Multiple Games: An
Experimental Study. Jenna Bednar, Yan Chen, Tracy Xiao Liu and
Scott Page. Games and Economic Behavior 74(1): 12--31. January 2012. (PDF)
- The Potential of Social Identity for Equilibrium Selection.
Roy Chen and Yan Chen.
American Economic Review 101 (6): 2562--2589. October 2011. . (PDF:
instructions and survey in appendices)
- Social Comparisons and Contributions to Online Communities: A Field
Experiment on MovieLens. Yan Chen, Max Harper, Joseph Konstan and Sherry
American Economic Review 100(4): 1358–-98. September 2010. (PDF)
- Scheduling with Package Auctions.
Kan Takeuchi, John C. Lin, Yan Chen and Tom Finholt.
(2010) 13: 476-499. (PDF)
- Multi-Object Auctions with Package Bidding: An
Experimental Comparison of iBEA and Vickrey. Yan Chen and Kan Takeuchi.Games
and Economic Behavior 68 (2): 557 -
579. March 2010.(PDF) (Instructions)
- Knowledge Market Design: A Field Experiment on Google Answers.
Yan Chen, Teck-Hua Ho and Yong-Mi Kim. Journal of Public Economics
Theory 12 (4): 641--664, August 2010. (PDF)
Re-examining Price as a
Predictor of Answer Quality in an Online Q&A Site.
YoungJoo, Yong-Mi Kim and Yan Chen. Proceedings of the 28th
International Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems 2010
Atlanta, Georgia, USA. April 10 - 15, 2010. Pages: 325-328.
- Group Identity and Social Preferences (previously circulated under
the title, Measuring Identity). Yan Chen and Sherry Xin Li. American Economic Review 99:1 (March 2009): 431-457. (PDF)
Material: including experimental instructions and survey)
- Sealed Bid Auctions with Ambiguity: Theory and
Experiments. Yan Chen, Peter Katuscak and Emre Ozdenoren. Journal of
Economic Theory 136 (2007): 513-535. (PDF)
- Congestion Allocation Mechanisms for Distributed Networks: An Experimental Study.
Yan Chen, Laura Razzolini and Ted Turocy. Economic Theory 33 (2007):
instruction in appendix; payoff tables used in the
- Online Fund-raising Mechanisms: A Field Experiment. Yan Chen, Xin Li and Jeffrey
MacKie-Mason. Contributions to Economic Analysis & Policy vol. 5,
Issue 2, Article 4, 2006. (PDF:
instruction in appendix)
- School Choice: An Experimental Study. Yan Chen and Tayfun
Sonmez. Journal of Economic Theory 127 (2006): 202-231. (PDF)
(DATA in excel: contains readme
sheet; DATA in
ascii) (Instructions: Boston,
Top Trading Cycles)
- An Economic Model of User Rating in an Online Recommender System. Maxwell Harper, Xin Li,
Yan Chen and Joseph Konstan. (PDF)
Springer's LNAI series, UM 2005 User Modeling: Proceedings of the Tenth International
Conference (DOI). This
paper is written for the computer science audience. This is part of the
- When Does Learning in Games Generate Convergence to Nash
Equilibria? The Role of Supermodularity in an Experimental Setting . Yan Chen and Robert
Gazzale. American Economic
Review vol. 94, No. 5, December 2004: 1505-1535. (PDF) (Supplemental
Material: including experiment instruction) (DATA)
- Dynamic Stability of Nash-Efficient Public Goods
Mechanisms: Reconciling Theory with Experiments. Yan Chen. Experimental Business Research, VOL II., Zwick, Rami
and Amnon Rapoport (Eds.), Kluwer Academic Publishers: Norwell, MA and
Dordrecht, The Netherlands: 2005. (PDF)
- An Experimental Study of House Allocation Mechanisms.
Yan Chen and Tayfun Sonmez. Economics Letters vol. 83, Issue 1
(April 2004): 137-140. (PDF),
- An Experimental Study of the Serial and Average Cost
Pricing Mechanisms. Yan Chen. Journal of Public
Economics vol. 87,
Issues 9-10 (September 2003): 2305-2335. (PDF),
- Learning Under Limited Information. Yan Chen and
Yuri Khoroshilov. Games and Economic Behavior 44 (July 2003): 1-25. (PDF).
- Improving Efficiency of On-Campus Housing: An
Experimental Study. Yan Chen and Tayfun Sonmez. American Economic
Review vol. 92, no. 5 (2002): 1669-86. (PDF),
- Incentive-Compatible Mechanisms for Pure Public Goods: A
Survey of Experimental Literature. Yan Chen. Forthcoming in The
Handbook of Experimental Economics Results edited by Charles Plott and
Vernon Smith. (Manuscript) (Figure)
- A Family of Supermodular Mechanisms Implementing Lindahl
Allocations for Quasilinear Environments. Yan Chen. Economic Theory
vol. 19, no. 4 (2002): 773-790.
- Electoral Systems, Legislative Process and Income
Taxation, Yan Chen. Journal of Public Economic
Theory vol. 2, no. 1 (2000):
- Learning and Incentive Compatible Mechanisms for
Public Goods Provision: An Experimental Study, Yan Chen and Fang-Fang Tang.
of Political Economy 106 (1998): 633-662. (PDF) (DATA)
- Veto Games: Spatial Committees Under Unanimity
Rule, Yan Chen and Peter C. Ordeshook, Public Choice vol
97, no 4 (December 1998): 617-643. (PDF)
- The Groves-Ledyard Mechanism: An Experimental
Study of Institutional Design, Yan Chen and Charles R. Plott, Journal of
Public Economics 59 (1996): 335-364. (PDF) (DATA)
- The Optimal Choice of Privatizing State-Owned
Enterprises: A Political Economic Model, Yan Chen. Public Choice
86, no. 3-4 (1996): 223-245. (PDF)
- Constitutional Secession Clauses, Yan
Chen and Peter C. Ordeshook, Constitutional Political Economy vol. 5, no. 1
(1994): 45-60. (PDF)
You can view my CV here.
Economists' Home Pages
[ HOME ]
Comments to Yan Chen